Featured Post

This is a Peace Poem

dwelling in the canyon of red sand stone we marked our houses with characters befitting our desires  if we were sad  w...

Thursday, August 29, 2019

Light Years

Light Years

The stars have been singing to me lately 
Yet they have not been singing 
The blues or a sad lament
Or even a sappy romantic ballad 
From the past
Instead, the stars have been 
Singing me the truth
That was once mine in childhood

The stars have been singing a song of hope

Humbled in their presence, I am awed
By their radiance and their glorious abundance
I hear their song and I feel
Small and insignificant
Lost for a moment in the vastness of this wonder
Then, as I inhale deeply, I find myself expanding


I find that I am a part of all that is

This swirling mass of light and dark
A part of this magnificent starry night
And as separate as each star appears
They are all held together by the night sky

And even when dawn comes and for a moment
The stars seem gone
I remember the milky way
The breast of infinite possibilities 
And I am nourished
By the thought that I am not alone
But just one piece of the puzzle
The mystery unfolding
One atom
One nucleus
In a vast and wondrous universe


Pattra Burnetto Monroe


1 comment:

A note from Pattra said...

This poem was inspired by the stars and by another's words: "all the loneliness, all the loneliness, a broken maraca of stars..." by Bill Shively, a writer and poet. His words touched and opened my heart and eyes.